Safety of Fuel Cycle Facilities (FCFs)
To enhance the safety of fuel cycle installations in Member States through the development of Safety Standards and their implementation.
- Developing safety standards for fuel cycle facilities (FCFs)
- Promoting the operational safety of fuel cycle facilities
The safety standards related to fuel cycle cover siting, design, construction, operation and decommissioning of FCFs, include in particular:
- Uranium milling and refining, conversion and enrichment, fuel fabrication and fuel cycle research and development facilities
- Spent fuel storage, reprocessing and waste conditioning facilities.
The objective is to improve the operational safety level through the conduct of safety review services and activities based on Member State requests, and the exchange of information on operational experience and lessons learned from events. This is ensured by:
- Missions on Safety Evaluation (of Fuel Cycle Facilities) during Operation (SEDO)
- The Fuel Incident Notification and Analysis System (FINAS)
For further information please contact Research Reactor Safety